Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Story of Savitri - Part 30 of 31


(Continued...)


Thereupon, Satyavan said, 'With the permission of my father, I went to the woods with Savitri There, as I was hewing wood in the forest, I felt a pain in my head.

And in consequence of the pain, I fell into a deep sleep. This is all that I remember. I had never slept so long before.

I have come so late at night, in order that ye might not grieve (on my account). There is no other reason for this.'

Gautama then said, 'Thou knowest not then the cause of thy father's sudden restoration to sight. It, therefore, behoveth Savitri to relate it.

I wish to hear it (from thee), for surely thou art conversant with the mysteries of good and evil. And, Savitri, I know thee to be like the goddess Savitri herself in splendour.

Thou must know the cause of this. Therefore, do thou relate it truly ! If it should not be kept a secret, do thou unfold it unto us !'

At these words of Gautama Savitri said, 'it is as ye surmise. Your desire shall surely not be unfulfilled. I have no secret to keep. Listen to the truth then !

The high-souled Narada had predicted the death of my husband. To-day was the appointed time. I could not, therefore, bear to be separated from my husband's company.

And after he had fallen asleep, Yama, accompanied by his messengers, presented himself before him, and tying him, began to take him away towards the region inhabited by the Pitris.

Thereupon I began to praise that august god, with truthful words. And he granted me five boons, of which do ye hear from me !

For my father-in-law I have obtained these two boons, viz., his restoration to sight as also to his kingdom. My father also hath obtained a hundred sons. And I myself have obtained a hundred sons. And my husband Satyavan hath obtained a life of four hundred years.

It was for the sake of my husband's life that I had observed that vow. Thus have I narrated unto you in detail the cause by which this mighty misfortune of mine was afterwards turned into happiness.

The Rishis said, ‘O chaste lady of excellent disposition, observant of vows and endued with virtue, and sprung from an illustrious line, by thee hath the race of this foremost of kings, which was overwhelmed with calamities, and was sinking in an ocean of darkness, been rescued.'


(Continued...)

No comments: