Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Story of Savitri - Part 16 of 31

(Continued...)

Markandeya continued, 'Thus addressed by her lord, Savitri of high vows saluted her father-in-law and mother-in-law and addressed them, saying, 'This my husband goeth to the forest for procuring fruits.


Permitted by my revered lady-mother and father-in-law, I will accompany him. 

For to-day I cannot bear to be separated from him.

Thy son goeth out for the sake of the sacrificial fire and for his revered superiors. He ought not, therefore, to be dissuaded. 

Indeed, he could be dissuaded if he went into the forest on any other errand.

Do ye not prevent me ! I will go into the forest with him. It is a little less than a year that I have not gone out of the asylum.

Indeed, I am extremely desirous of beholding the blossoming woods !'

Hearing these words Dyumatsena said, 'Since Savitri hath been bestowed by her father as my daughter-in-law, I do not remember that she hath ever spoken any words couching a request.

Let my daughter-in-law, therefore, have her will in this matter. 

Do thou, however, O daughter, act in such a way that Satyavan's work may not be neglected !'


(Continued...) 

No comments: