Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Story of Savitri - Part 2 of 31

(Continued...)

And he passed eighteen years, practicing such vows. Then when the eighteen years were full, Savitri was pleased (with him).

And O king, issuing with great delight, in embodied form, from the Agnihotra fire, the goddess showed herself to that king.


And intent on conferring boons, she spoke these words unto the monarch, “I have been gratified, O king, with thy Brahmacharya practices, thy purity and self-restraint and observance of vows, and all thy endeavours and veneration ! 

Do thou, O mighty king, O Aswapati, ask for the boon that thou desirest ! Thou ought, however, by no means show any disregard for virtue.”

Thereat Aswapati said, “it is with the desire of attaining virtue that I have been engaged in this task. O goddess, may many sons be born unto me worthy of my race ! 

If thou art pleased with me, O goddess, I ask for this boon. The twice-born ones have assured me that great merit lieth in having offspring !”

Savitri replied, “O king, having already learnt this thy intention, I had spoken unto that lord, the Grandsire, about thy sons. 

Through the favour granted by the Self-create, there shall speedily be born unto thee on earth a daughter of great energy. It behoveth thee not to make any reply. Well-pleased, I tell thee this at the command of the Grand-sire.”
 
Sage Markandeya said, “Having accepted Savitri’s words and saying, 'So be it !' the king again gratified her and said, 'May this happen soon !'. On Savitri vanishing away, the monarch entered his own city.

(Continued...)

No comments: