Friday, October 28, 2011

The Story of Savitri - Part 28 of 31


(Continued...)


Then Satyavan said, 'O timid one, by virtue of habit, the ( forest ) paths are known to me. And further, by the light of the moon between the trees, I can see them.

We have now reached the same path that we took in the morning for gathering fruits. Do thou, auspicious one, proceed by the way that we had come : thou needst not any longer feel dubious about our path.

Near that tract overgrown with Palasa tree, the way diverges into two. Do thou proceed along the path that lies to the north of it. I am now well and have got back my strength.

I long to see my father and mother !' Saying this Satyavan hastily proceeded towards the hermitage.

Markandeya said, 'Meanwhile the mighty Dyumateena, having regained his sight, could see everything. And when his vision grew clear he saw everything around him.

And, O bull of the Bharata race, proceeding with his wife Saivya to all the (neighbouring) asylums in search of his son, he became extremely distressed on his account. And that night the old couple went about searching in asylums, and rivers, and woods, and floods.

And whenever they heard any sound, they stood rising their heads, anxiously thinking that their son was coming, and said, ‘O yonder cometh Satyavan with Savitri !' And they rushed hither and thither like maniacs, their feet torn, cracked, wounded, and bleeding, pierced with thorns and Kusa blades.

Then all the Brahmanas dwelling in that hermitage came unto them, and surrounding them on all sides, comforted them, and brought them back to their own asylum.

And there Dyumatsena with his wife surrounded by aged ascetics, was entertained with stories of monarchs of former times. And although that old couple desirous of seeing their son, was comforted, yet recollecting the youthful days of their son, they became exceedingly sorry.

And afflicted with grief, they began to lament in piteous accents, saying, 'Alas, son, alas, chaste daughter-in-law, where are you ?' Then a truthful Brahmana of the name of Suvarchas spake unto them, saying, 'Considering the austerities, self-restraint, and behaviour of his wife Savitri, there can be no doubt that Satyavan liveth !'

And Gautama said, ‘I have studied all the Vedas with their branches, and I have acquired great ascetic merit. And I have led a celebate existence, practising also the Brahmacharya mode of life.

I have gratified Agni and my superiors. With rapt soul I have also observed all the vows : and I have according to the ordinance, frequently lived upon air alone. By virtue of this ascetic merit, I am cognisant of all the doings of others. Therefore, do thou take it for certain that Satyavan liveth.'

Thereupon his disciple said, 'The words that have fallen from the lips of my preceptor can never be false. Therefore, Satyavan surely liveth.'


(Continued...)

No comments: