Allergy is caused mainly due to the red and green colored ink used for designing. Dye used in these inks is much unregulated. Ingredients used to make such inks mainly include cobalt, cadmium and nickel. These metals usually cause skin infection or allergies in human which includes itching, raised bumps, skin redness, swelling and irritation. The worst case (oozing) can be dangerous too.
You should be aware of the consequences of getting a tattoo as some side effects can lead to hypertension reaction which can be risky for life. Follow some precautions given below before going for a tattoo.
- Get a small test before getting a tattoo. Mark a small amount of ink behind your ear and wait for few minutes to see if there is any allergic reaction. If not you can proceed & get tattoo of your choice.
- Sometimes allergies can take place after a week or year also due to change in weather or any sickness. So there is no exact way to know the effect of tattoo on your body.
- Instruct the tattoo artist to use non-latex gloves.
- Carefully follow the cleaning tips given by artist, always keep tattoo clean and moisturize the area with wet cloth twice a day.
- Keep fresh tattoo away from direct sunlight
- Consult your artist about metals used for designing, if you are allergic to those substances do not go for it.
- Remember it is always better to be safe before then to regret later.