Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fun with Punctuation

Case A - Man and Woman

An English professor wrote the words: "A woman without her man is nothing" on the chalkboard and asked his students to punctuate it correctly.

All of the males in the class wrote: "A woman, without her man, is nothing."
All the females in the class wrote: A woman: "without her, man is nothing."

Case B – Love Letter and Not so Loving letter – change in punctuation

See how the same letter with the same wordings can change in meaning by different punctuation usage:
============================================================
Dear John:

I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy--will you let me be yours?

Gloria

============================================================
Dear John:

I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?

Yours,
Gloria
=========================================================
Case C – Other samples of fun with punctuation

§ In conducting annual self-assessment training, providers should seek help.
§ In conducting annual self-assessment, training providers should seek help.

§ The man dropped the bullet in his mouth.
§ The man dropped, the bullet in his mouth.

§ Watch out – man eating apes!
§ Watch out – man-eating apes!

§ We order merchandise and sell the products.
§ We order, merchandise and sell the products.

§ When I sing well, ladies feel sick.
§ When I sing, well ladies feel sick.

§ You will be required to work twenty four-hour shifts.
§ You will be required to work twenty-four hour shifts.
§ You will be required to work twenty-four-hour shifts.

Punctuation is everything !!

Cheers

P.K.

No comments: